Sunday, August 3, 2014

Reading "That's Not My Dinosaur"





This book written by Fiona Watt and illustrations by Rachel Wells. This is a book about different styles and types and textures of different dinosaurs. The children reading this book have to find which one is there dinosaur.



The illustrations in this book works wonderful for children with their sensory. It has fuzzy, bumpy, slippery, rough and soft dinosaurs for children to touch and feel in this book.



My personal opinion about this book is that I think it would work wonders for children who are still learning about sensory. This book would have been wonderful for the beginning stages of when my son was diagnosed with autism. With his autism he loves to touch and feel different things of different textures.



If I were working with children of 2-3 years I would ask my students the following questions;

1. Which dinosaur did you like touching the best? Fuzzy, bumpy, slippery, rough or the soft dinosaur?

2. Which dinosaur did you not like?



Classroom activities:

1. I would set up a sensory station in the classroom with many different materials. I would use covered boxes filled with the materials so they could not see what was inside. I would then ask each student to stick their hands inside and guess what type of material was inside.

2. I would have the children to go outside and find different materials of different textures.



First publishes in 2002, Usborne Publishing Ltd, Usborne House, 83-85 Saffron Hill, London, ECIN-8RT

No comments:

Post a Comment